Even as indigenous English speakers we sometimes struggle with just the right term to describe, explain, explain, or elucidate what we want to convey. We generally recognize extra than we can speak. Just one of ideal ways to engage English language learners (ELL) in actively acquiring new content is to join their track record know-how to the new subject. So, let's give them some sentence frames to help them use language.
We will be most profitable if we try to remember to generally get started with the strategy or theme.
#one When commencing a new subject, enable pairs pretest just one a different. Compose this sentence body on a board, overhead, or PowerPoint, or make your personal blackline master with the sentence body repeated four to six periods on a webpage so you can cut them into strips to hand out to the pairs.
A: “Do you know nearly anything about (subject)?
B: “I'm not certain, but I do know _____.”
or “I consider it could be _____ since I realized _____.”
Immediately after learners copy the sentence body, or use the helpful strips, erase the term ‘topic' in the to start with sentence. Compose in the subject for today. It may possibly be a theme, or a attribute, or an emotion.
- Browse the sentence body aloud to the learners.
- Browse it yet again, and this time the learners need to repeat immediately after you.
- Give them sixty seconds (certainly, definitely time it, applying the total sixty seconds) to glimpse at the term and consider about every little thing they know about it. No speaking. No writing. Just considering.
- Subsequent, enable learners use a different 60 seconds (yep, time it yet again) to produce phrases and phrases to capture their ideas about the subject.
- At last it is time to speak.
This is time effectively-spent. Your lesson will be more powerful and extra relevant. Your learners will be engaged. You can go on to spiral the written content, connecting it to what they now know or beforehand realized. The ELs will make assurance as they are encouraged to consider, produce, and speak about what they now know.
#two System extra chances for student conversation. Here's a different sentence starter than can be utilised with men and women, then shared in tiny teams.
This new theme of _____ reminds me of a time in my everyday living when _____.
#three Make sentence frames with the term ‘because' to have learners describe connections in between previous finding out and the new subject.
“I consider the next subject will be _____ since our previous lesson was _____.”
This sort of sentence body encourages prediction in accordance to prior finding out. This is a very good time to demonstrate the learners how much they have realized and how it all one-way links collectively.
#4 Immediately after examining a tale, a sentence body can be utilised to enable learners speak with a associate. You can increase this speaking exercise to include a 2nd associate, like elbow- partners and throughout-the-aisle partners. Give a sentence body:
For instance, “I consider _____ is a hero, since _____.”
#5 Ask learners to make comparisons to concrete objects in linguistic ways. Hand out objects to learners and give them some time to consider and produce yet again, prior to speaking.
Test this sentence body with a selection of objects:
I am like this _____(Snickers bar), since I am _____ (nutty).
I am like this _____(Matchbox Ferrari), since I am _____ (tiny and speedy).
I am like this _____(purple pencil) since I am _____ (my deal with is purple since I have to speak aloud).
The objects you use can be just about nearly anything!
Now that your creativity is gearing up, make up some sentence frames to use tomorrow.
- Feel about how you would want the smartest student in the school to speak.
- Then use your focus on vocabulary and academic language to make a sentence body.
- Inspire your ELLs to speak in finish sentences in all discussions in the classroom. This will maximize their academic vocabulary, which maximizes finding out, and builds assurance.
- Young children like to truly feel clever!
Get our secret Tips and Tricks to your inbox.