More myths and dark superstitions surround the 7th anniversary year than any other. Even the silver screen has paid tribute to it — think Marilyn Monroe in the 1955 blockbuster ‘The Seven-Year Itch’. Although you may have had a roller-coaster ride so far, all that good-natured ribbing by friends is causing a tinge of alarm to run up and down your spine. Yes, we are talking about the infamous seven-year itch!
As the 7-year anniversary looms, is your wife secretly wondering whether she is going to end up as the next statistic in the crumbling marriage market? Does even an innocent glance at a pretty woman that you pass by on the street find her eyes impaling you with a penetrating stare? Boy, it is time to appease all those spoken and unspoken fears and doubts! Surpass yourself (and her expectations) — present her with a 7th wedding anniversary gift like no other!
Take your pick of gifts – exotic and lavish, inexpensive but thoughtful or outright sensual and even naughty. Each gift speaks volumes about your feelings for your wife. Here are some gift ideas especially hand-picked for you.
- Copper gifts — Copper signifies prosperity and good fortune and is traditionally associated with the seventh year. Left untended, copper appears dull and old. But, a brisk polishing soon brings back its burnished sheen. (A lesson here?) The market is flooded with copper-themed objects. If she loves off-beat jewelery, then present her with delicately crafted copper bracelets in a variety of designs. You can even go for copper photo frames which have some mind-blowing close-ups of the two of you.
- Woolen scarves and sweaters — Along with copper, wool is also the 7th anniversary year’s traditional gift — representing warmth, durability and security. The kind that couples who have married for so long share with each other. If your anniversary falls in the winter months, then splurge on some high-quality woolen scarves and cardigans that will keep her cosy and warm when you are not around for some TLC! And, guess what, some really cool wool jewelery is also very ‘in’! Wool jewelery is all the rage now, is inexpensive and eco-friendly to boot.
- Desk-sets — If traditional stuff is not your cuppa, go modern with a vengeance with desk sets. This would also be great gift for someone who works from home and desperately needs something to organize all that chaos. Desk sets can be a deep, rich wood (mahogany, walnut, rosewood), a contemporary aluminum, or the all-time classic leather (if you have the money to splurge).
- A bouquet of Jack-in-the-pulpit flowers — Unusual yet gorgeous – just like her –flowers are a man’s best ally when it comes to wooing a woman. Even if she is hopping mad at you, she cannot remain annoyed for long when faced with a bunch of beautiful flowers. Your best bet for the 7th year is a bouquet of Jack-in-the-pulpit flowers –the traditional flowers for this year.
- Onyx and lapis lazuli jewelery — As with all anniversary years, the 7th year also has certain gemstones associated with it. Jewelery never fails to impress a woman with its inherent intimate connotations. Stun her with some exquisite onyx and lapis lazuli necklaces, pendants, rings, earrings or bracelets and her delighted smile will hold you in its warm embrace for a long time…
- Ease romance back into the relationship –With the passage of time, the two of you have settled down to a cosy, comfortable routine. That is inevitable, of course. But, did romance noiselessly tip toe out one day and you could not even hear it go? Has her sexy lingerie of the earlier years given way to comfortable cotton pajamas while you, more often than not, skip shaving every now and then? Now is the perfect reason to plan a mini-break such as a weekend getaway. Pack the kids to grandma’s house and organize every little detail. Believe me, half the fun lies in the planning and the anticipation.
- Pamper her silly — If she is a working mom, juggling a demanding career, growing kids and domestic chores, she probably has very little ‘me time’. This is where you step in to do your bit. Shower her with top-drawer bath and body products that promise to get the spa experience home. Better still, get both yourselves booked at a spa that offers couple treatments as well. This means your own private room, with softly-lit scented candles, flowers strewn in the bath and a hushed ambiance. All that massaging and pampering is so relaxing! The stage is set for some lusty-musty jungle passion when the two of you reach home!
- The surprise element — If your anniversary falls on a weekday and she works, then it is up to you to take a day or afternoon off (it will be worth it, that’s a promise!) and plan a surprise that will blow her off her feet. Prepare a romantic meal with her favourite dishes, place a large bouquet of Jack-in-the-pulpit flowers on the table, dim the lighting and have ‘your’ song playing softly in the background. When she returns, gallantly taker her bags, lead her to the sofa and give her a neck and shoulder massage. Even as she is digesting it all, whip out the crowning jewel — her gift (see list above). I am sure you can manage the rest…
So, the next time someone takes a jibe, ‘You’re heading for the seven-year itch’, just turn around and say, ‘Sure, but I know just how to deal with it!’